Sunday, December 5, 2010

THE RGV REALITY

when I was 11 I used to sleep on the dhaba ( terrace ). starring at the stars and their small size ( my social teacher should be complemented for he failed to explain the funda of stars) I often wondered why humans never try to bring them down.I always dreamt one day I will take a vessel of a stars size and go there in a space ship and trap a star in the vessel and bring the star down to earth. It gave me immense pleasure to imagine the scene and my childhood innocence made me believe that  one day I will .

But as I grew up and ironically chose social as a subject to teach, I realised the fall of my dreams. Even though i knew the foolishness of my dream i liked it. For it taught me impossibility should be accepted with grace. and its better we realize the reality in its own terms. And throughout life till date I always saw the way reality murdered the dreams.

And some dared to present the reality in books paintings and more often movies. Govind Nihalani made Tamas and people are shocked to see the ugly face of truth. Gulzar made Maachis and people remembered the days of trauma. Recently a journalist made Peepli Live and the country for another time discussed farmers suicides.

I have lots of examples in the pipeline. Ray, Mrinalsen, Shyam benegal ,Basu chaterjee, Ritwik Ghatak, made films to present reality by accepting its bitterness. The films never distorted the reality. they never provided solutions. often the directors accepted the truth that " bringing stars down is a impossibility" thats why these great men always vented out anger through characters ( see the character of Nasserudin shah in Aakrosh)

Dear Ram Gopal Varma : watched your Raktha Charitra 2.  you does an impossibility. you murdered reality.

i don't want to discuss movie here.

 What  ever be the profession one should always choose between two things.

                                                          Create.
                                                          Follow.

Paradoxically  often you quote Ayn Rand.

Let me tell you

 The pain of knowing yourself  will make you prepare yourself for the ultimate you are destined for.

This is what Roark should have felt when he declined the deans offer in the beginning. This is how peter keating should have felt when he tried to build his last project. ( sorry guys to know Roark and Keating study "The Fountainhead")

                                                        In Ayn Rand's Words
" ---------------- only a few in each generation will grasp and achieve the full reality of man's proper stature_ and that the rest will betray it."

you belong to rest--- dear rgv

1 comment:

  1. may be the high fundamentals you gave in review are less understandable by common folk like me.if you feel that expressing the same in simple expressions will dilute the strength of comment i leave it to your discretion. ramgopal varma definitely may not read this but if you are confident at least your students can understand i am happy to hear it- thanks for the view and review which makes things easier for me to chose between as i know you my friend

    ReplyDelete